Main Article Content
Objectives: Chronic myeloid leukemia is a clonal myeloproliférative disorder caused by reciprocal translocation t (9;22) that induces tyrosin kinase protein. Imatinib is a selective inhibitor of this protein. Aim of this study is to describe, the clinical and biological feature of chronic myeloid leukemia in the Congo.
Material and Methods: The study is a retrospective study which conducted in Clinical Hematology unit of teaching hospital in Brazzaville, Congo on newly diagnosed patients with chronic myeloid leukemia. A total of 25 males and 14 females with a mean age of 36 years (16 and 69 years) at time of the diagnosis were enrolled in the study.
Results: The mean duration of the illness at the time of the diagnosis was 11.4 months (0.5 and 50 months). Patients presented with a splenomegaly, mean leukocytosis rate at 168.5g/l (14.6-381 g/l), moderate anemia at 8.4 g/dl (3.1 and 12.8 g/dl) and normal platelet rate at 415.4 g/dl (164 and 998 g/l). Thirty eight on thirty nine patients (97.43 %) presented at chronic phase and the Sokal score was high in 46.2%. Imatinib induced complete hematologic response at 3 months in all patients. Complete cytogenetic response was achieved in 20.51%. The median follow up period was months. The Overall Survival was 86.6% at 26 months and Progression Free Survival was 91.8% at 12 months.
Conclusion: This meta analysis report represents the clinical and biological pattern of chronic myeloid leukemia in the Congo.
2. Rowmey; “A new consistent chromosomal abnormality in chronic myelogenous leukemia identified by quinacrine fluorescence and Giemsa staining”, Nature 1973; 5405 (243); 290-3.
3. Daley GQ, Van Etten RA, Baltimore D, “induction of chronic myelogenous leukemia in mice by the P210 (bcr/abl) gene of the Philadelphia chromosome”. Science 1990; 4944 (247): 824-30.
4. Redaelli A, Bell C, Casagrande J, Stephens J, Botteman M, Laskin B et al. Clinical and epidemiologic burden of chronic myelogenous leukemia. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy 2014; 1(4): 85-96.
5. Nsonde Malanda J, Nkoua Mbon JB, Tozoulabambara A, Ibara G, Minga B, Nkoua Epala B et al. Douze années de fonctionnement du registre des cancers de Brazzaville. Bull Cancer. 2013; 2(100):135-39.
6. Druker B, Guilhot F , O’Brien GS, Gathmann I, Kantarjian H, Gattermann N, et al. Five-year follow-up of imatinib therapy for newly diagnosed chronic myelogenous leukemia in chronic-phase shows sustained responses and high overall survival. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 2408-17.
7. Muheez AD, Faluyi JO, Oyekunle AA et al. The use of imatinib mesylate in Nigerians with chronic myeloid leukemia. Cellular Therapy and Transpantation 2008; 1 (2):.58-62.
8. Koffi KG, Nanho DC, N’dathz E et al. The effect of imatinib mesylate for newly diagnosed Philadelphia chromosome-positive, chronic-myeloid leukemia in Sub-Saharan African patients: the experience of Côte d’Ivoire. Advances in hematology 2010; 10 (268921): 1-6.
9. Segbena AY, Kueviakoe IMD, Agbetiafa K, Padaro E, ayibo Y, Dorkenoo A, Agbo YM. Leucémie myéloïde chronique et imatinib, experience du CHU Campus de Lomé au Togo. Médecine Santé et Tropicales 2012 ; 22(3) : 307-11.
10. Chemegni B, Tayou Tagne C, Nlend Nlend MC, Ngouadjeu E, Ngo Sack f, Kaptue Noche L et, al. La réponse hématologique chez les patientsatteints de leucémie myeloide chronique sous imatinib à Yaound2. Health Sci. Dis 2016 ; 17(1) : 1-6.
11. Mendizabal AM, Naji Y, Levine PH. Geographic and income variation in age at diagnosis and incidence of chronic myeloid leukemia. International of Hematology 2016; 103(1): 70-8.
12. De Lavallade H, Khorashad JFA, Milokovic D et al. Imatinib and newly diagnosed patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: incidence on sustained responses in an intention-to-treat analysis. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2008; 26 (20): 3358-63.
13. Kantarjian HM, Smith TL, McCredie KB et al. Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: Mutlivariate Analysis of the Association of Patients Characteristics and Therapy with survival. Blood 1985; 66 (6): 1326-35.
14. Fleming AF and Menendez C. ‟blood”, in principles of Medicine in Africa, Parry E, Godfrey R, Mabey D, and G. Gill, Eds., vol. 78,Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK, 2004.
15. Prosanth G and Lalit K. Chronic myeloid leukemia in India. Journal of Global Oncology 2017; 3(1): 67-71.
16. Wing YA, Caguioa PB, Chuah C, chun Hsu S, Saengsunee J, Dong-Wook K et, al. Chronic myeloid leukemia in Asia. Int J Hematol 2009; 89: 14-23.
17. Sokal JE. Evaluation of survival data from chronic myelocytic leukemia. Am J Hematol 1976; 1 (4): 493-500.