Main Article Content
Objective: Canine parvoviruses (CPV) are DNA viruses with symptoms that can cause death in young dogs. The aim of this study was to characterize platelet count and platelet indices at the time of diagnosis of CPV and to assess the correlation between PLT, RBC, and WBC with platelet indices.
Materials and Methods: The current study included 26 dogs with Parvo and 11 healthy dogs.
Results: When the haemogram values were compared statistically, no difference was observed. Positive correlation was found between Mean platelet volume (MPV) and Platelet distribution width (PDW).
Conclusions: Platelet and platelet indices may not be important in the diagnosis and prognosis of CPV. Further studies on this issue are of importance in terms of understanding the PLT indices in viral disease in animals.
2. Assinger A. Platelets and infection- an emerging role of platelets in viral infection. Frontiers in Immunology. 2014;5(649):1-12.
3. Flaujac C., Boukour S., Cramer-Borde E. Platelets and Viruses: an ambivalent relationship. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. 2010;67:545-6.
4. Wilson JJ., Neame PB.,Kelton JG. Infection-ınduced thrombocytopenia. Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis. 1982;8(3):217-33.
5. Yılmaz Z., Eralp O., Ilcol YO. Evaluation of platelet count and its association with plateletcrit, mean platelet volume, and platelet size distribution width in a canine model of endotoxemia. Veterinary Clinical Pathology. 2008;37(2):159-163.
6. Evans GO., Smith DE. Platelet measurements in healthy beagles, Canis familiaris. Hematology International. 1991;1:49-51.
7. Llewellyn EA., Todd JM., Sharkey LC., Rendahl A. A pilot study evaluating the prognostic utlity of platelet indices in dogs with septic peritonitis. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care 2017;27(5):569-578.
8. Schneider L., Mischke R. Platelet variables in healthy dogs: reference intervals and influence of age, breed and sex. Comparative Clinical Pathology. 2016;25:1097-1106.
9. Bommer NX., Shaw DJ., Mılne EM., Rıdyard AE. Platelet distribution width and mean platelt volume in the interpretation of trombocytopenia in dogs. Journal of Small Animal Practice. 2008:49;518-524.