Main Article Content
Objective: The aim of this quasi-experimental study is to depict the effects of progressive relaxation method on the patients who were applied total knee prosthesis.
Material and Methods: The findings of the study were obtained from the patients who applied to Adnan Menderes University Research and Practice Hospital, Clinic of Orthopedics and Traumatology with the diagnosis of gonarthros in October 2014–February 2015.Sample of the study was consisted of 80 patients; 40 in experimental group and 40 in control group. The study findings were collected via patient information forms which showed the patients’ introductive information, and via Visual Analogue Scale in which independent variables of stable-ongoing anxiety inventory were investigated.
Results: According to the results, experimental group patients’ age mean was analyzed as X=62.27±7.98, and control group patients’ X=62.35±9.80. 70% of the experimental group patients were female, and 75% of the control group patients were female, 50% of the patients in the experimental group were found to have any chronicle ilness; 62.5% of them had operation experience in the past; 60% used adjuvant tools; 62.5% used their own techniques to overcome the pain when emerged; and body-mass index mean was X=27.62±3.75. 67.5% of the patients in the control group were found to have any chronicle illness; 60% of them had operation experience in the past;76.2% used adjuvant tools;72.5% used their own techniques to overcome the pain when emerged; and body-mass index mean was X=29.57±5.10.
Conclusion: It is considered that progressive relaxation method which was applied to patients has a positive effect on decreasing the post-operative pain and anxiety.
2. Cüceloğlu D. Human and Behavior - Basic Concepts of Psychology, Remzi Bookstore İstanbul 2005.
3. Sertbaş G, Bahar A. Nursing Initiatives in Coping with Anxiety and Anxiety. 2004; 39-44.
4. Smeltzer SC, Bare BG, Hinkle JL & Cheever KH. Pain Managament. Textbook Of Medical-Surgical Nursing. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008;258-299
5. Kindler CH, Harms C, Amsler F. The Visual Analog Scale Allows Effective Measurement Of Preoperative Anxiety And Detection Of Patients’ Anesthetic Concerns. Anesthesia & Analgesia 2000; 90(3): 706-712. Doi:10.1097/00000539-200003000-00036
6. Raj PP. Pain taxonomy. Erdine S (Ed). Pain. Istanbul, Alemdar Ofset, 2000; 12-20.
7. Arslan S, Çelebioğlu A. Postoperative Pain Management And Alternative Applications. International Journal of Human Sciences 2004;1(1): 1-7.
8. Society, Korean Knee. Guidelines for the management of postoperative pain after total knee arthroplasty. Knee surgery & related research. 2012;2(4): 201.
9. Eti Aslan F. Pain: Nature and Control. European Medical Bookshop Mart Printing Arts, Istanbul, 2006.
10. Hill N. Davis P. Nursing Care of Total Joint Replacement. Journal of Orthopaedic Nursing. 2000;4: 41-45. Doi:10.1054/joon.2000.0060
11. Özer N, Karaman Özlü Z, Arslan S. Effect of Music on Postoperative Pain and Physiologic Parameters of Patients after Open Heart Surgery.Pain Management Nursing. 2013 ;14(1): 20-28. Doi:10.1016/j.pmn.2010.05.002
12. Büyükyılmaz, F. The Effect Of Relaxing Tecnique And Back Massage On Postoperative Pain And Anxiety İn Total Hip Or Knee Arthroplasty Patients, İstanbul University Institute of Health Science, PhD. Thesis, İstanbul, 2009.
13. Karaçay P, Eti Aslan F, Şelimen D. Determination of Pain Relation Approaches in Emergency Trauma Units. Pain 2006;18(1):45
14. Pinto PR, Mclntyre T, Ferrero R, Almeida A, Araujo-Soares V. Predictors Of Acute Postsurgical Pain And Anxiety Following Primary Total Hip And Knee Arthroplasty. The Journal of Pain 2013;14(5): 502-515. Doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2012.12.020
15. Taşdemir N. Relaxation Technique, Aromatherapy And The Combination Of Both Methods Of Postoperative Pain Effect, Ege University Department of Surgical Nursing, PhD Thesis, İzmir, 2012.
16. Akyol O. Prevalence, Characteristics, Affecting Factors of Pain in Patients Undergoing Knee Replacement and Examination of Satisfaction in Pain Management, Dokuz Eylul University Institute of Health Sciences, Department of Surgical Nursing, M.Sc. Thesis, Izmir, 2008.
17. Büyükyılmaz F. Diagnosis Of Postoperative Pain İn Orthopedics And Traumatology Patients, Istanbul University Institute of Health Sciences, Department of Nursing Principles, Master Thesis, Istanbul, 2005.
18. Yıldırım A. Diagnosis Of Postoperative Pain And Pain Management İn Patients With Total Knee Replacement Surgery, Istanbul University Institute of Health Sciences, Fundamentals of Nursing Program, Master Thesis, Istanbul, 2013.
19. Grieve RJ. Day Surgery Preoperative Anxiety Reduction And Coping Strategies. British Journal of Nursing. 2002;11(10):670-678. Doi:10.12968/bjon.2002.11.10.670
20. Jlala HA, French JL, Foxall GL, Hardman JG, Bedforth NM.Effect Of Preoperative Multimedia İnformation On Perioperative Anxiety İn Patients Undergoing Procedures Under Regional Anaesthesia. British journal of anaesthesia. 2010;104(3): 369-374. Doi:10.1093/bja/aeq002
21. Cimilli C. Anxiety in surgery. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2001;4: 182-186. Doi:10.4236/ss.2011. 26065
22. Turhan Y. Preoperative And Postoperative Anxiety İn Patients Scheduled For Elective Surgery Relationship With Patient Satisfaction, Cukurova University Faculty of Medicine Department of Anesthesia and Reanimation, Master Thesis, Adana, 2007.
23. Akinsulore A, Owojuyigbe AM, Faponle AF, Fatoye FO. Assessment of preoperative and postoperative anxiety among elective major surgery patients in a tertiary hospital in Nigeria. Middle East Journal of Anesthesiology. 2015;23(2): 235-240.
24. Yazar M. Effect Of Pre-Operative Training On Anxiety Level İn Patients With Open Heart Surgery, Halic University Institute of Health Sciences, Master Thesis, Istanbul, 2011.
25. Büyükyılmaz F, Aşti T. Nursing Care of Postoperative Pain. Journal of Anatolia Nursing and Health Sciences. 2009;12(2): 84-93.
26. Rejeh N, Heravi-Karimooi M, Vaismoradi M, Jasper M. Effect of systematic relaxation techniques on anxiety and pain in older patients undergoing abdominal surgery. International journal of nursing practice. 2013;19(5): 462-470. Doi: 10.1111/ijn.12088.
27. Yavuz A. Nonpharmacological İnterventions İn Postoperative Pain Management And Analgesic Application According To Patient's Own Pain Assessment And Comparison Of Routine Analgesia Method, Ege University Institute of Health Sciences Nursing Program, Master Thesis, Izmir, 2000.
28. Good M, Anderson GC, Stanton-Hicks M, Grass JA, Makii M. Relaxation and music reduce pain after gynecologic surgery. Pain Management Nursing. 2002;3(2): 61-70. Doi:10.1002/nur.20076
29. Sjöling M, Nordahl G, Olofsson N, Asplund K. The impact of preoperative information on state anxiety, postoperative pain and satisfaction with pain management. Patient education and counseling. 2003;51(2): 69-176. Doi:10.1016/S0738-3991(02)00191-X
30. Yıldızeli Topçu S. The Effect Of Relaxation Techniques Taught By Nurses On Pain Control İn Patients Undergoing Upper Abdominal Surgery, Trakya University Institute of Health Sciences, Master thesis Edirne, 2008.
31. Kaçmaz N. Psychological problems and nursing approaches of intensive care patients. Journal of Intensive Care Nurses. 2002;6(2): 75-81.
32. Payen JF, Bosson JL, Chanques G, Mantz J, Labarere J. Pain Assessment Is Associated with Decreased Duration of Mechanical Ventilation in the Intensive Care UnitA Post HocAnalysis of the DOLOREA Study. The Journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists. 2009;111(6): 1308-1316. Doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181c0d4f0.
33. Demir Ö, Arslantaş H. The effect of progressive muscle relaxation exercise on the level of anxiety in patients with corneal angiography and percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty. Journal of Psychiatric Nursing. 2014;5(3): 113-121. Doi: 10.5505/phd.2014.78942
34. Eti Aslan F. Quality Cost Effectiveness in Maintenance: Relaxation Techniques, Cold Application and Massage and Postoperative Pain Management. 5th National Nursing Congress (International Participation) Book. 1997; 9-11.
35. Roykulcharoen V, Good M. Systematic relaxation to relieve postoperative pain. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2004;48(2): 140-148. Doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03181.x