Main Article Content
Objective: This study was conducted to determine the problems of individuals with stoma and its effects on the daily life activities
Material and Methods: The study was conducted individuals with at least one month's stoma, agreed to participate in the study, over the age of 18 years, between January 1 and June 1, 2016 in individuals attending a General Surgery Clinic of a University. In the study, used survey form was prepared by the researchers in the direction of the literature.
Results: The mean age of patients was 56.67±11.07 and 70.4% were male. When social lives of the individuals were examined after stoma, it was found that 22.2% of them prevented the daily activities of the stoma, 14.8% of them had changed in their family, friends and neighbors relations, The 7.42% were embarrassed due to stoma, The 27.8% of them went to liquid beverage restriction, The 16.7% have decreased appetite due to smell. No statistically significant difference was found between the sexes, pre-stoma education status, stoma type and stoma duration according to daily life activities, nutritional status, mental status, dressing and social life (p> 0,005).
Conclusion: It has been determined that stoma influences social life together with mental problems at individuals and restricts their daily activities.
2. Hubbard G. Taylor C. Beeken B. Campbell A. Gracey J. Grimmett C.Ozakinci G. Slater S. Gorely T. (2017). Research Priorities Abouth Stoma Releated Quality of Life from the Perspective of People with a Stoma. A Pilot Survey.Health Expectation, 20:1421-1427
3. Ayaz, S. Stomalı Bireyde Beden İmajı ve Benlik Saygısı. Türkiye Klinikleri 2008; 28:154-159.
4. Kılıç E, Taycan E, Belli A, Özmen M. Kalıcı Ostomi Ameliyatının beden Algısı, Benlik Saygısı, Eş Uyumu ve Cinsel İşlevler Üzerine Etkisi. Türk Psikiyatri dergisi, 2007;18(4):302-310.
5. Üstündağ H, Demir N, Zengin N, Gül A. Stomalı Bireylerde beden İmajı ve Benlik Saygısı. Türkiye Klinikleri 2007; 27: 525-527.
6. Grant M, Ferrell B, Dean G, Uman G, Chu D, Krouse R. Revision and psychometric testing of the City of Hope Quality of Life–Ostomy Questionnaire. Quality of Life Research 2004;13: 1445–1457.
7. Grant M, McMullen CK, Altschuler A, Mohler MJ, Hornbrook MC, Herrinton LJ, et al. Gender differences in quality of life among long-term colorectal cancer survivors with ostomies. Oncol Nurs Forum 2011; 38: 587–96.
8. Anaraki F, Vafaie M, Behboo R, Maghsoodi N, Esmaeilpour S, Safaee A. Quality of Life Outcomes in Patients Living with Stoma. Indian J Palliat Care 2012;18(3): 176–180.
9. Rouholiman D, Gamble JG, Dobrota SD, Encisco EM, Shah AG, Grajales FJ, R Kin R, CD, and Larry F Chu, Improving Health-Related Quality of Life of Patients With an Ostomy Using a Novel Digital Wearable Device: Protocol for a Pilot Study. JMIR Res Protoc 2018;7(3): e82.
10. Özaydın İ, Taşkın AE, İskender A. Stoma ile İlgili Komplikasyonların Retrospektif Analizi. Journal of Clinical and Experimental İnsvestigations 2013;4(1):63-66.
11. Karaveli S, Özbayır T, Karacabay K. Kolorektal Kanser Ameliyatı Geçiren Hastaların Ameliyat Öncesi ve Sonrası Dönemde Yaşadıkları Sorunların İncelenmesi. Anadolu Hemşirelik ve Sağlık Bilimleri Dergisi 2014; 17: 2.
12. Dabirian A, Yaghmaei F, Rassouli M, Tafreshi MZ. Quality of life in ostomy patients: a qualitative study. Patient Preference and Adherence 2011;5: 1–5
13. Nausvall P, Dahlstrand U, Lo¨wenmark T, Rutega J, Gunnarsson U, Striga KQuality of life in patients with a permanent stoma after rectal cancer surgery. Qual Life Res 2017;26:55–64
14. Duruk NHemşirelerin intestinal Stoma bakımına ilişkin bilgileri, TC. Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Ankara 2007;8-10, 22-34.
15. Krouse R, Grant M, Ferrell B, Dean G, Nelson R, Chu D. Quality of life outcomes in 599 cancer and non-cancer patients with colostomies. J Surg Res. 2007; 138: 79–87.
16. Gooszen AW, Geelkerken RH, Hermans J, Lagaay MB, Gooszen HG. Quality of life with a temporary stoma: Ileostomy vs.colostomy. Dis Colon Rectum 2000; 43: 650–5.
17. Karadağ A, Menteş B, Ayaz, S, İrkörücü O, Alabaz Ö. Kolostomili ve İleostomili Hastaların Bakımına Yönelik Rehber Kitap. Ayhun Ofset. Ankara: 2003;7-39.
18. Neuman HB, Patil S, Fuzesi S, Wong WD, Weiser MR, Guillem JG, et al Impact of a temporary stoma on the quality of life of rectal cancer patients undergoing treatment. Ann Surg Oncol; 2011; 18:1397–403.
19. Verweij NM, Bonhof CS, Schiphorst AHW, Maas HA, Mols F Pronk A, and Hamaker ME Quality of life in elderly patients with an ostomy – a study from the population-based PROFILES registry. The Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland 2017;20, 92-102
20. Mahjoubi B, Kiani Goodarzi K, Mohammad-Sadeghi H. Quality of life in stoma patients: Appropriate and inappropriate stoma sites. World J Surg. 2010;34:147–52
21. Erkoç EU, Alabaz Ö, Karadağ A. Stoma .Ed: Alemdaroğlu K., Akçal T., Buğra D., Kolon Rektum ve Anal Bölge Hastalıkları.Türk Kolon ve Rektum Cerrahisi Derneği, 1.Baskı, İstanbul:2003;309-329.
22. Parascandolo ME. Multiple ostomy complications in a patient with Crohn’s Disease : a case study. JWOCN 2001;28(5): 236-243.
23. Pittman J, Rawl SM, Schmidt CM. Ostomi'li gazi kanserlerde ostomi komplikasyonları ve yaşam kalitesi ile ilgili demografik ve klinik faktörler. J Yara Ostomi Kontinans Hemşireliği 2008;35;493–503