Main Article Content
Objective: In this study, the effectiveness of caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE) and Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in preventing ischemia reperfusion injury associated with ovarian torsion have been investigated.
Materials and Methods: Twenty four adult female Wistar Albino rats were randomly divided into four groups. Ovaries were not twisted, and only healthy ovarian tissues were removed from the rats in the first group, while ovaries were twisted for 3 hours in the other groups. The second group did not receive any medications before the ovaries were untwisted, while 20 micromole/kg of CAPE was applied on peritoneal surface to the third group, and 60 mg/kg of DHEA was administered intraperitoneally to the fourth group.
Results: The level of primordial follicles was higher in the third group compared to the second group after the torsion of the ovary (p=0.017). The mean level of primary follicles was higher in the first group compared to the number of follicles in the third and fourth groups after the torsion of the ovary (p<0.001). The median hemorrhage level was higher in the second group following ovarian torsion compared to that in the first group (p=0.005).
Conclusion: Agents that have been considered to reduce injury resulting from ischemia-reperfusion proved ineffective during the early stages in terms of the number of follicles in the ovaries; however, we believe that long-term studies may be more beneficial.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Celik O, Turkoz Y, Hascalik S, Hascalik M, Cigremis Y, Mizrak B, et al. The protective effect of caffeic acid phenethyl ester on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovary. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2004; 117: 183-8.
3. Hassa H, Aydin Y, Ozatik O, Erol K, Ozatik Y. Effects of dehydroepiandrosterone [DHEA] on follicular dynamics in a diminished ovarian reserve in vivo model. Syst Biol Reprod Med 2015; 61: 117-21.
4. Huang C, Hong MK, Ding DC. A review of ovary torsion. Ci Ji Yi Xue Za Zhi 2017; 29: 143-7.
5. Kart A, Cigremis Y, Ozen H, et al. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester prevents ovary ischemia/reperfusion injury in rabbits. Food Chem Toxicol 2009; 47: 1980-4.
6. Lin H-P, Lin C-Y, Huo C, Su L-C, Chuu C-P. Anticancer effect of caffeic acid phenethyl ester. Pharmacologia 2012; 3: 26-30.
7. Oelsner G, Shashar D. Adnexal torsion. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 49: 459–63.
8. Ozler A, Turgut A, Soydinç HE, Sak ME, Evsen MS, Alabalik U, et al. The biochemical and histologic effects of adnexal torsion and early surgical intervention to unwind detorsion on ovarian reserve: an experimental study. Reprod Sci 2013; 20: 1349-55.
9. Qin JC, Fan L, Qin AP. The effect of dehydroepiandrosterone [DHEA] supplementation on women with diminished ovarian reserve [DOR] in IVF cycle: Evidence from a meta-analysis. J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod 2017; 46: 1-7.
10. Sak ME, Soydinc HE, Sak S, Evsen MS, Alabalik U, Akdemir F, et al. The protective effect of curcumin on ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat ovary. Int J Surg 2013; 11: 967-70.
11. Servaes S, Zurakowski D, Laufer MR, Feins N, Chow JS. Sonographic findings of ovarian torsion in children. Pediatr Radiol 2007; 37: 446–51.
12. Sonmezer M, Ozmen B, Cil AP, Ozkavukcu S, Tasci T, Olmus H, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone supplementation improves ovarian response and cycle outcome in poorresponders. Reprod Biomed Online 2009; 19: 508-13.
13. Soyman Z, Kelekci S, Sal V, Sevket O, Bayindir N, Uzun H. Effects of Apigenin on Experimental Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury in the Rat Ovary. Balkan Med J 2017; 34: 444-9.
14. Tolba MF, Omar HA, Azab SS, Khalifa AE, Abdel-Naim AB, Abdel-Rahman SZ. Caffeic Acid Phenethyl Ester: A Review of Its Antioxidant Activity, Protective Effects against Ischemia-reperfusion Injury and Drug Adverse Reactions. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2016; 56: 2183-90.
15. Toyoda T, Tsukamoto T, Takasu S, Shi L, Hirano N, Ban H, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of caffeic acid phenethyl ester [CAPE], a nuclear factor kappa B inhibitor, on Helicobacter pylori-induced gastritis in Mongolian gerbils. Int J Cancer 2009; 125: 1786-95.
16. Parlakgumus HA, Aka Bolat F, Bulgan Kilicdag E, Simsek E, Parlakgumus A. Atorvastatin for ovarian torsion: effects on follicle counts, AMH, and VEGF expression. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2014;175:186-90.