Main Article Content
Objective: Intoxication cases are increasing in societies day by day. Intoxication cases are followed-up and treated in Intensive Care Units (ICU). In our study, the intoxication cases followed in the intensive care unit; it is aimed to evaluate demographic data, prognosis, causing agents, mortality rates retrospectively.
Material and Methods: In the intensive care unit between the dates of January 1, 2016 and March 10, 2020, the patients who were admitted with the diagnosis of acute intoxication, age, gender, the drug is taken for poisoning or the substance they are exposed to, Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS), the number of days hospitalized, mechanical ventilation support day and the number and mortality status were evaluated retrospectively.
Results: The 88 patients applied to ICU with the diagnosis of acute intoxication, 55(62%) of them are female and 33(37%) of them are male. According to all gender data, the intoxication was found to be the highest between the ages of 17 and 30 (n: 69) and the least under 17 age (n: 2). Half of the patients (n: 44 50%) were treated in less than 2 days. With a single drug, intoxication was seen as the highest with antidepressants.
Conclusion: Intoxications occur mostly with medications and among these drugs, they are mostly seen with anti-depressive medications for psychiatric treatment. When treatment is started quickly after the poisoning, the duration of hospital stay is shortened and the prognosis is better. Since poisoning varieties differ by region, this information should be known and updated by the people who treat it.
2. Griessenauer CJ, Richli M. Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim or Paracelsus (1493-1541). Biomedicine International 2013;4:55-6.
3. Özdemir R, Bayrakcı B. Zehirlenmeler ve Hacettepe Deneyimi. Katkı Ped Derg 2009; 31: 47-87.
4. Totoz T, HŞTürk, Sayın P, Çınar S, Yıldırım Ç, Oba S. Yoğun bakım ünitemizdeki intoksikasyon olgularının geriye dönük incelenmesi. The Medical Bulletin of Sisili Etval Hospital 2013;47:63-6
5. Biçer S, Sezer S, Çetindağ F, Kesikminare M, Tombulca N, Aydoğan G, Aldemir H. Çocuk Acil Kliniği 2005 Yılı Akut Zehirlenme Olgularının Değerlendirilmesi. Marmara Medical Journal 2007;20(1);12-20
6. Ahmet A.Yoğun Bakım Ünitesinde Takip Edilen Zehirlenme Olgularının Değerlendirilmesi: Retrospektif Çalışma. Firat Med J 2019; 24 (3): 129-33
7. Kaydu A, Akıl F, Araç E. Yoğun Bakım Ünitesinde Takip Edilen Akut İntoksikasyonlar: Retrospektif Değerlendirme. Van Med J 2017;24:232- 7.
8. Kosovalı BD, Yıldız H. Retrospective Evaluation of Four-Year Acute Intoxication Cases Followed-up in Intensive Care Unit. Turk J Intensive Care 2019;17:75-81
9. Pekdemir M, Yıldız M, Durukan P, Kavalcı C. Acil Servise Başvuran Erişkin Zehirlenme Olgularının Retrospektif olarak incelenmesi. Toksikoloji Dergisi 2004; 2: 41-8.
10. Ersoy A, Kara D, Cangir CC, Erdoğan E, Ali A, Büyükyıldırım A. Yoğun Bakımda İntoksikasyon Olgularının Değerlendirilmesi. The Medical Journal of Okmeydanı Training and Research Hospital 2013; 29(2):72-75
11. Duran M, Uludag O, Yuzkat N. Analysis of Adult Intoxication Cases Treated in ICU: A sample from Adıyaman Region of Turkey. Medical Science and Discovery 2016; 3(2):71-5
12. T.C. Sağlık Bakanlığı Birinci Basamağa Yönelik Zehirlenmeler Tanı ve Tedavi Rehberleri. 2007