Main Article Content
Objective: This study was conducted to investigate the effect of preoperative fasting period on postoperative agitation, nause and vomiting in children with tonsillectomy.
Material and Methods: Children (n:123) who have had tonsillectomy between June and December 2017 and their families have taken place in the study. The data were collected by the researchers with a questionnaire. The data were analyzed using the SPSS 18 package program and with descriptive, Mann Whitney U test, Spearman Correlation test.
Results: The mean duration of preoperative fasting was 11.03±1.17 hours, the duration of thirst was 10.17±1.00 hours. The mean behavior scores of the children were 1.28±0.27 points, the mean vomiting score of the children was 0.01±0.07 points, 56.9% of the children in the postoperative unit were not experiencing nausea. Between duration of preoperative fasting with agitation and vomiting status in postoperative unit was found to statistically no relationship. According to preoperative fasting time of children, a statistically significant difference was found when children were diagnosed as having or not having symptoms of nausea.
Conclusıon: It was found that the children had longer duration of preoperative fasting than the guidelines suggested in the guidelines. It was observed that pre-operative fasting time did not affect postoperative agitation and vomiting, but it affected nausea.
Practice Implications: Surgical nurses should emphasize the importance of fasting period to families before surgery and inform families on this issue.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Yılmaz, E. Cerrahi Süreç: Ameliyat Öncesi Hazırlık ve Bakım. In: Eti Aslan F. (Ed) Cerrahi Bakım Vaka Analizleri ile Birlikte Akademisyen Kitabevi, Ankara, Turkey: 2016. P.319-345.
3. Dolgun E, Yavuz M, Eroğlu B, İslamoğlu A. Investigation of preoperative fasting times in children. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 2017:32(2):121-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2014.12.005
4. Ferrari LR. Preoperative evaluation of paediatric surgical patients with multi system considerations. Anesthesia Analgesia, 2004;99(4):1058-69. https://doi.org/10.1213/01.ANE.0000133910.55244.0E.
5. Splinter WM, Schreiner MS. Preoperative fasting in children. Anesthesia Analgesia, 1999;89(1):80-9. https://doi.org/10.1213/00000539-199907000-00015.
6. Søreide E, Eriksson LI, Hirlekar G, Eriksson H, Henneberg SW, Sandın R, Raeder J. Preoperative fasting guidelines: an update. Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, 2005;49: 1041-1047. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-6576.2005.00781.x.
7. Stuart PC. The evidence base behind modern fasting guidelines. Best Practice Research Clinical Anaesthesiology, 2006;20(3):457-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpa.2006.03.001
8. American Society of Anesthesiologists Practice Guidelines for Preoperative Fasting and the Use of Pharmacologic Agents to Reduce the Risk of Pulmonary Aspiration: Application to Healthy Patients Undergoing Elective Procedures. 2017;126(3):376-393. file:///Users/deneme/Downloads/practice-guidelines-for-preoperative-fasting%20(1).pdf Accessed: 24 jan 2021.
9. American Society of Anesthesiologists Committee Practice Guidelines for Preoperative Fasting and the Use of Pharmacologic Agents to Reduce the Risk of Pulmonary Aspiration: Application to Healthy Patients Under going Elective Procedures, Anesthesiology. 2011;114(3):495-511, https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181fcbfd9.
10. Türk Anesteziyoloji ve Reanimasyon Derneği (TARD) (Turkish Anesthesiology and Reanimation Association) Anestezi Uygulama Kılavuzları. Perioperatif Hazırlık, TARD, 2005. Available from: https://www.tard.org.tr/assets/kilavuz/3.pdf, Accessed: 24 jan 2021.
11. Türk Anesteziyoloji ve Reanimasyon Derneği (TARD) (Turkish Anesthesiology and Reanimation Association) Anestezi Uygulama Kılavuzları Preoperatif Değerlendirme, 2015. Available from:https://www.tard.org.tr/assets/kilavuz/preoperatifdegerlendirme.pdf Accessed: 24 jan 2021.
12. Royal College of Nursing (RCN). Perioperative fasting in adults and children: An RCN guidelines for the multidisiplinary team. Clinical Practise Guidelines, 2005. Available from: file:///Users/deneme/Downloads/RCN_Perioperative_Fasting__Adults_and_Children%20(3).pdf Accessed: 24 jan 2021.
13. Merchan R, Chartrand D, Dain S, Dobson G, Kurrek M, Lagace A, Stacey S, Thiessen B. Guidelines to the Practice of Anesthesia Revised Edition 2013. Canadian Journal of Anesthesi. 2013;60(1):60–84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-012-9820-7.
14. Association of Anaesthetist of Great Briatain and Northern Ireland. Pre-operative assessment and Patient Preparation The Role of Anaesthetist, 2010. Available from: https://www.aagbi.org/sites/default/files/preop2010.pdf. Accessed: 09 Nov 2010.
15. Andersson H, Frykholm P, Schmitz A. Preoperative fasting guidelines in anestesia: Are we ready for a change?. Current Opinion in Anesthesiology, 2018;31(3):342-348. https://doi.org/10.1097/ACO.0000000000000582.
16. Dolgun E, Taşdemir N, Ter N, Yavuz M. Investigation of Preoperative Fasting Times of Surgical Patients. F. Ü. Sağ. Bil. Tıp Derg, 2011;25(1):11-15.
17. Engelhardt T, Wilson G, Home L, Weiss M, Schmitz A. Are you hungry? Are you thirsty? – fasting times in elective out patient paediatric patients. Paediatric Anesthesia, 2011;21(9):964-968. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9592.2011.03573.x .
18. Gebremedhn EG, Nagaratnam VB. Audit on Preoperative Fasting of Elective Surgical Patients in an African Academic Medical Center. World Journal of Surgery, 2014;38(9):2200-2204. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-014-2582-3
19. Adenekan AT. Perioperative blood glucose in a paediatric day case facility: Effects of fasting and maintenance fluid. African Journal of Paediatric Surgery, 2014;11(4):317-322. https://doi.org/ 10.4103/0189-6725.143140
20. Love C. Fasting the patient before operation. Journal of Orthopaedic Nursing, 2002;6:41- 48. https://doi.org/10.1054/joon.2001.0208.
21. Stephens K, Stickland P, Larsson JN, Middleton P, Cyna AM. Sevoflurane versus other general anaesthesia on postoperative behaviour disturbance in children (Protocol). Cochrane Database SystRev. 2, 2008. Art. No.: CD007084. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD14007084.
22. Vlajkovic G. & Sindjelic R. Emergence delirium in children: many questions, few answers. Anesthesia&Analgesia, 2007;104:84–91. https://doi.org/10.1213/01.ane.0000250914.91881.a8.
23. Silva L, Braz L, Modolo NS. Emergence agitation in paediatric anaesthesia: current features. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2008;84(2):107-13. https://doi.org/10.2223/JPED.1763.
24. Kaya S. Tonsillektomi ve adenoidektomi komplikasyonları. In: Kaya S.(Ed.) Tonsil. Bilimsel Tıp yayınevi, Ankara, Turkey, 2005:246-275.
25. Bajwa SA, Costi D, Cyna AM. A comparison of emergence delirium scales following general anesthesia in children. Paediatric Anaesthesia, 2010;20(8):704-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9592.2010.03328.x.
26. Watcha MF., Ramirez-Ruiz M, White PF, Jones MB, Lagueruela RG, Terkonda RP. Perioperative effects of oral ketorolac and acetaminophen in children under going bilateral myringotomy. Can J of Anaesth., 1992;39(7):649–54. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03008224.
27. Abramowitz MD, Oh TH, Epstein BS, Ruttimann UE, Friendly DS. The antiemetic effect of droperidol following outpatient strabismus surgery in children. Anesthesiology. 1983;59(6):579-583. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542-198312000-00021.
28. Polat C, Demirören K. Frequency of the tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in children in Elazig province, in the east of Turkey. Dicle Medical Journal. 2010;37(3):263-266.
29. Gulbetekin E, Guducu Tufekci F. Milk with Honey Heals after Tonsillectomy; Bleeding, Pain and Wound Healing are in a Better Condition: An Experimental Study with Control Group. International Journal of Caring Sciences, 2017;10(1):433-446.
30. Yıldız Fındık Ü. Cerrahi Süreç: Ameliyat Sonrası Bakım ve Komplikasyonların Önlenmesi. In: Eti Aslan F. (Ed), Cerrahi Bakım Vaka Analizleri ile Birlikte. Akademisyen Kitabevi, Ankara, Turkey, 2016. p.425-454.
31. Gürol A, Binici Y. (2017). Determination of anxiety levels of the mothers whose children will undergo day care surgery and the effective factors, İzmir Dr. Behçet Uz Çocuk Hastanesi Dergisi, 7 (1), 29-38. https://doi.org/10.5222/buchd.2017.029.
32. Dolgun E, Yavuz M. Reorganization in Day Surgery Nursing Care For Child Patient, Ege Üniversitesi Hemşirelik Yüksekokulu Dergisi, 2011;27(3):45-54.
33. Klemetti S, Kinnunen I, Suominen T, Antila H, Vahlberg T, Grenman R, Leino-Kilpi H. The effect of preoperative fasting on postoperative thirst, hunger and oral intake in paediatric ambulatory tonsillectomy. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2010;19(3-4).341–350. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03051.x.
34. Jayasinghe V, Liyanage SN, Mahesh PB, Sooriaarachchi C, Jayalath J, Krunarathne W. Evaluation of the effect of pre-operative over fasting on post-operative vomiting in children undergoing bone marrow aspiration at a tertiary care setting in Sri Lanka: A prospective cohort study. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia, 2018;62 (5):366-370. https://doi.org/10.4103/ija.IJA_727_17.
35. Uğur G, Bombacı E, Çevik B. Evaluation of Factors Affecting Emergence Agitation in Paediatric Anesthesia Practice. South. Clin. Ist. Euras. 2018;29(1):36-44. https://doi.org/10.14744/scie.2018.28290.