Main Article Content
Objective: Covid-19 disease has spread rapidly across the world since its first appearance in 2019. At the beginning of the pandemic, Covid-19 disease was thought to affect only the respiratory system, although it has since been realized that it causes numerous transient or permanent problems in various body systems. One of these effects involves the reproductive system.
Several studies have investigated the effects of Covid-19 disease on the female and male reproductive systems. Embryological life depends on the fertilization of a healthy mature oocyte, a healthy mature sperm, and the continuation of pregnancy. The purpose of this article is to examine the effects of Covid-19 disease on the male and female reproductive systems and embryological life through a review of the current literature.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Gupta A, Madhavan MV, Sehgal K, et al. Extrapulmonary manifestations of COVID-19. Nat Med. 2020;26(7):1017- 1032. doi:10.1038/s41591-020-0968-3.
3. Mauvais-Jarvis F, Klein SL, Levin ER. Estradiol, progesterone, immunomodulation, and COVID-19 outcomes. Endocrinology. 2020;161(9):bqaa127. doi:10.1210/endocr/bqaa127.
4. Prado RCR, Silveira R, Asano RY. SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) pandemic and a possible impact in the future of menstrual cycle research. Health Sci Rep. 2021;4(2):e276. doi:10.1002/ hsr2.276.
5. Yang M, Chen S, Huang B, Zhong JM, Su H, Chen Y. J et al. Pathological findings in the testes of COVID19 patients: clinical implications. Eur Urol Focus. 2020;6:1124-9.
6. Li H, Xiao X, Zhang J, Zafar MI, Wu C, Long Y et al. Impaired spermatogenesis in COVID-19 patients. E ClinicalMedicine. 2020;28:100604.
7. Sadler TW. Langman’s Medical Embryology. 12th Edition. USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2012; 1-128.
8. Treloar AE. Variation of the human menstrual cycle through reproductive life. Int J Fertil. 1967;12:77-126.
9. Lu R, Zhao X, Li J, Niu P, Yang B, Wu H, Wang W, Song H, Huang B, Zhu N, Bi Y. Genomic characterisation and epidemiology of 2019 novel coronavirus: implications for virus origins and receptor binding. The lancet. 2020 Feb 22;395(10224):565-74.
10. Reis FM, Bouissou DR, Pereira VM, Camargos AF, dos Reis AM, Santos RA. Angiotensin-(1-7), its receptor Mas, and the angiotensin-converting enzyme type 2 are expressed in the human ovary. Fertility and sterility. 2011 Jan 1;95(1):176-81.
11. Hayashi KG, Acosta TJ, Tetsuka M, Berisha B, Matsui M, Schams D, Ohtani M, Miyamoto A. Involvement of angiopoietin-tie system in bovine follicular development and atresia: messenger RNA expression in theca interna and effect on steroid secretion. Biology of reproduction. 2003 Dec 1;69(6):2078-84.
12. Ferreira R, Gasperin B, Rovani M, Santos J, Barreta M, Bohrer R, Price C, Bayard Dias Gonçalves P. Angiotensin II signaling promotes follicle growth and dominance in cattle. Endocrinology. 2011 Dec 1;152(12):4957-65.
13. Stefanello JR, Barreta MH, Porciuncula PM, Arruda JN, Oliveira JF, Oliveira MA, Gonçalves PB. Effect of angiotensin II with follicle cells and insulin-like growth factor-I or insulin on bovine oocyte maturation and embryo development. Theriogenology. 2006 Dec 1;66(9):2068-76.
14. Guo B, Zhang XM, Li SJ, Tian XC, Wang ST, Li DD, Liu DF, Yue ZP. Expression and regulation of Ang-2 in murine ovaries during sexual maturation and development of corpus luteum. Molecular Biology. 2012 Nov;46(6):802-8.
15. Sugino N, Suzuki T, Sakata A, Miwa I, Asada H, Taketani T, Yamagata Y, Tamura H. Angiogenesis in the human corpus luteum: changes in expression of angiopoietins in the corpus luteum throughout the menstrual cycle and in early pregnancy. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2005 Nov 1;90(11):6141-8.
16. Vaz-Silva J, Carneiro MM, Ferreira MC, Pinheiro SV, Silva DA, Silva AL, Witz CA, Reis AM, Santos RA, Reis FM. The vasoactive peptide angiotensin-(1–7), its receptor Mas and the angiotensin-converting enzyme type 2 are expressed in the human endometrium. Reproductive sciences. 2009 Mar;16(3):247-56.
17. Brosnihan KB, Bharadwaj MS, Yamaleyeva LM, Neves LA. Decidualized pseudopregnant rat uterus shows marked reduction in Ang II and Ang-(1-7) levels. Placenta. 2012 Jan 1;33(1):17-23.
18. Li XF, Ahmed A. Dual role of angiotensin II in the human endometrium. Human reproduction. 1996 Oct 1;11(suppl_2):95-108.
19. Vaz-Silva J, Tavares RL, Ferreira MC, Honorato-Sampaio K, Cavallo IK, Santos RA, dos Reis AM, Reis FM. Tissue specific localization of angiotensin-(1–7) and its receptor Mas in the uterus of ovariectomized rats. Journal of molecular histology. 2012 Oct 1;43(5):597-602.
20. Li XF, Ahmed A. Expression of angiotensin II and its receptor subtypes in endometrial hyperplasia: a possible role in dysfunctional menstruation. Laboratory investigation; a journal of technical methods and pathology. 1996 Aug 1;75(2):137-45.
21. Moore K.L, Persaud T.V.N. The Devoloping Human Clinically Oriented Embryology. 8th ed, Saunders, 2007: 262-270.
22. Eskandari M, Ghalyanchi Langeroudi A, Zeighami H, Rostami A, Kazemi M, Eyni H, Shokri S. Co‐administration of ginseng and ciprofloxacin ameliorates epididymo‐orchitis induced alterations in sperm quality and spermatogenic cells apoptosis following infection in rats. Andrologia. 2017 Apr;49(3):e12621.
23. Lin CY, Chen CY, Yu CH, Yu IS, Lin SR, Wu JT, Lin YH, Kuo PL, Wu JC, Lin SW. Human X-linked intellectual disability factor CUL4B is required for post-meiotic sperm development and male fertility. Scientific reports. 2016 Feb 2;6(1):1-7.
24. Wang Z, Xu X. scRNA-seq profiling of human testes reveals the presence of the ACE2 receptor, a target for SARS-CoV-2 infection in spermatogonia, Leydig and Sertoli cells. Cells. 2020 Apr;9(4):920. doi: 10.3390/cells9040920.
25. Albani E, Castellano S, Gurrieri B, Arruzzolo L, Negri L, Borroni EM, Levi-Setti PE. Male age: negative impact on sperm DNA fragmentation. Aging (Albany NY). 2019 May 15;11(9):2749. doi: 10.18632/aging.101946.
26. Yang M, Chen S, Huang BO, Zhong JM, Su H, Chen YJ, Cao Q, Ma L, He J, Li XF, Li X. Pathological findings in the testes of COVID-19 patients: clinical implications. European urology focus. 2020 Sep 15;6(5):1124-9.
27. Ma L, Xie W, Li D, Shi L, Ye G, Mao Y, Xiong Y, Sun H, Zheng F, Chen Z, Qin J. Evaluation of sex‐related hormones and semen characteristics in reproductive‐aged male COVID‐19 patients. Journal of medical virology. 2021 Jan;93(1):456-62.
28. Dietzel E. Sperm-oocyte interaction. J Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2018;2 (2): - 59 - 60.
29. Georgadaki K, Khoury N, Spandidos DA, Zoumpourlis V. The molecular basis of fertilization. International journal of molecular medicine. 2016 Oct 1;38(4):979-86.
30. Schoenwolf GC, Bleyl SB, Brauer PR, Francis-West PH. Gametogenesis, fertilization, and first week. Larsens’s human embryology. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone. 2009:15-50.
31. Moore Keith L. The Developing Human Clinically Oriented Embryology. 4. Edition, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, sayfa: 31-34.
32. Ross MH, Pawlina W. Histology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006.
33. Valdes G, Neves LA, Anton L, Corthorn J, Chacon C, Germain AM, Merrill DC, Ferrario CM, Sarao R, Penninger J, Brosnihan KB. Distribution of angiotensin-(1-7) and ACE2 in human placentas of normal and pathological pregnancies. Placenta. 2006 Feb 1;27(2-3):200-7.
34. ER P. The expression and localization of the human placental prorenin/renin-angiotensin system throughout pregnancy: roles in trophoblast invasion and angiogenesis. Placenta. 2011;32:956-62.
35. Neves LA, Stovall K, Joyner J, Valdés G, Gallagher PE, Ferrario CM, Merrill DC, Brosnihan KB. ACE2 and ANG-(1-7) in the rat uterus during early and late gestation. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 2008 Jan;294(1):R151-61.
36. Ghadhanfar E, Alsalem A, Al-Kandari S, Naser J, Babiker F, Al-Bader M. The role of ACE2, angiotensin-(1–7) and Mas1 receptor axis in glucocorticoid-induced intrauterine growth restriction. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 2017 Dec;15(1):1-9.
37. Hering L, Herse F, Geusens N, Verlohren S, Wenzel K, Staff AC, Brosnihan KB, Huppertz B, Luft FC, Muller DN, Pijnenborg R. Effects of circulating and local uteroplacental angiotensin II in rat pregnancy. Hypertension. 2010 Aug 1;56(2):311-8.
38. Brosnihan KB, Neves LA, Anton L, Joyner J, Valdes G, Merrill DC. Enhanced expression of Ang-(1-7) during pregnancy. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research. 2004;37:1255-62.
39. Jing Y, Run-Qian L, Hao-Ran W, Hao-Ran C, Ya-Bin L, Yang G, Fei C. Potential influence of COVID-19/ACE2 on the female reproductive system. Molecular human reproduction. 2020 Jun;26(6):367-73.