Main Article Content
Objective: According to numerous studies, bicytopenia, pancytopenia, or isolated thrombocytopenia and anemia patients have folic acid (folate) and vitamin B12 (B12) deficiency. The purpose of this study is to analyze the effects of folate and B12 deficiency in childhood on several haemogram parameters such as platelet (PLT), mean platelet volume (MPV), hematocrit (HCT), mean corpuscular volume (MCV), and white blood cell (WBC) count.
Materials and Methods: The retrospective study included children who had applied to the pediatric outpatient clinic between 2015 and 2017. Patients were divided into 3 groups according to serum B12 and folate status. The results were evaluated by statistical methods.
Results: PLT and WBC levels of the folate and B12 deficiency group were found to be lower than the control group (p=0.015, p<0.001 respectively), and their MPV and HCT levels were higher (p: 0.015, p<0.001 respectively). MCV levels, however, were not different (p>0.05). No effect of PLT and MCV on folate levels was seen. Similarly, any effects of MPV, PLT and MCV independent variables on B12 levels were not observed. Although platelet and leukocyte count was decreased in folate and B12 deficiency, thrombocytopenia and leukopenia were observed only three patients.
Conclusion: Although peripheral blood cell lines are not always seen low during folate and B12 deficiency, and there is not obvious anemia and MCV highness at a patient with neurological and psychological symptoms, folate and B12 deficiency should be thought if there are leukocyte and thrombocyte levels lower than mean reference values.
1. Akcaboy M, Malbora B, Zorlu P, Altinel E, Oguz MM, Senel S. Vitamin B12 Deficiency in Infants. Indian J Pediatr. 2015;82(7):619–24. doi: 10.1007/s12098-015-1725-3. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5004505
2. Koury MJ, Panka P. New insights into erythropoiesis: the roles of folate, vitb 12 and iron. Annu Rev Nutr 2004; 24: 105-31. www.researchgate.net/publication/8518428_New_Insights_into_Erythropoiesis_The...
3. Combs GF, McClung JP. The Vitamins fundamental aspects in nutrition and health. Academic Press is an imprint of Elsevier 2017 fifth edition. www.elsevier.com/books/the-vitamins/combs-jr/978-0-12-802965-7
4. Mahmood L. The metabolic processes of folic acid and vitamine B12 deficiency. J Health Res Rev 2014; 1:5-9. www.jhrr.org/article.asp?issn=2394-2010;year=2014;volume=1;issue=1;spage=5;epage=9;...
5. Green R, Mitra AD. Megaloblastic anemias nutritional and other causes. Med Clin N Am 2016;http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2016.09.013.
6. Nafil H, Tazi I, Sifessalam M, Bouchtia M, Mahmal L. Clinical, biological and therapeutic profile of anemia by vitamine B12 deficiency in the department of hematology of Marrakech (Morocco). Bull Soc Pathol Exot 2013; 106: 83-8. www.pathexo.fr/documents/articles-bull/131490083.pdf
7. Jaggia A, Northern A. Vitamin B12 and/or folate deficiency is a cause of macro thrombocytopenia. G J Hematol Blood Trans 2015; 2: 20-4.
8. Chu SG, Becker RC, Berger PB, Bhatt DL., Eikelboom JW. Konkle B at al. Mean platelet volume as a predictor of cardiovascular risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Thromb Haemost 2009; 8: 148–56. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19691485
9. Guilland JC, Aimone-Gastin I. Vitamin B9. Rev Prat. 2013; 63(8):1079,1081-4.
10. Okur M, Ozkan A, Gunes C, Kaya M, Kocabay K. A case of isolated thrombocytopenia due to cobalamin deficiency. Int J Hematol 2011; 94:488–90.
11. Stabler SP, Allen RH, Savage DG, Lindenbaum J. Clinical spectrum and diagnosis of cobalamin deficiency. Blood. 1990;76: 871–81.
12. Sarode R, Garewal G, Marwaha N, Marwaha RK, Varma S, Ghosh K et al. Pancytopenia in nutritional megaloblastic anaemia: a study from north-west India. Trop Geogr Med. 1989;41: 331–6.
13. Refsum H, Yajnik CS, Gadkari M, Schneede J, Vollset SE, Orning L et al. Hyperhomocysteinemia and elevated methylmalonic acid indicate a high prevalence of cobalamin deﬁciency in Asian Indians. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001;74: 233–41.
14. Davies JK, Guinan EC. An update on the management of severe idiopathic aplastic anemia in children. Br J Hematol 2007; 136:549-64.
15. Erdol S. An important public health problem: Vitamin B12 deficiency. JCP 2017;15:30-6. https://dergipark.org.tr/pediatri/issue/30824/331249
16. Hicks JM, Cook J, Godwin ID, Soldin SJ. Vitamin B12 and folate: pediatric reference ranges. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1993; 117: 704-6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8323433