Main Article Content
Our Nephrology Department during the spring period on the first wave of COVID-19 was the referral Dialysis Unit for Covid-19 positive HD patients in the district area of Athens, Greece. This study aims to report the characteristics, rates, and outcomes of all patients affected by infection with SARS-CoV-2 undergoing HD and treated under our care. 22 Covid-19 positive HD patients were treated under the care of our facility during the period 8 April 2020-17 June 2020. 16 patients were symptomatic at admission and 13 patients were admitted with or developed during their stay pleural effusions. 12 patients (8 male) of our group died during their hospitalization. The mean age of our patients was 74.5 years. It has to be pointed out that 13 patients were over 75 years old. Mean age was higher in those who died compared with those who were discharged with double negative Covid-19 tests (79 vs 74,5 years old respectively). It seems that despite the fact that the immune response of this population has not been clearly clarified, age comorbidities and above all end-stage renal disease by its self is a significant and unpredictable risk factor for clinical outcome of HD patients with COVID-19 infection.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Gralinski LE, Menachery VD. Return of the Coronavirus: 2019-nCoV. Viruses 2020;12:135.
3. Kato S, Chmielewski M, Honda H, et al. Aspects of immune dysfunction in end-stage renal disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;3:1526–33.
4. Kliger AS, Cozzolino M, Jha V, et al. Managing the COVID-19 pandemic: international comparisons in dialysis patients. Kidney Int. 2020;98:12–16.
5. Henry BM, Lippi G. Chronic kidney disease is associated with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infection. Int Urol Nephrol. 2020 ; 52:1193-1194.
6. Wang R, Liao C, He H, et al. COVID-19 in hemodialysis patients: a report of 5 cases. Am J Kidney Dis 2020;76(1):141-143.
7. Basile C, Combe C, Pizzarelli F, et al. Recommendations for the prevention, mitigation and containment of the emerging SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) pandemic in haemodialysis centres. Nephrol Dialysis Transplant. 2020;35:737–741.
8. Ikizler TA, Kliger AS. Minimizing the risk of COVID-19 among patients on dialysis. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2020;16:311–313.
9. Meijers B, Messa P, Ronco C. Safeguarding the maintenance hemodialysis patient population during the coronavirus disease 19 pandemic. Blood Purif. 2020;49:259–264.
10. Kliger AS, Cozzolino M, Jha V, Harbert G, Ikizler TA. Managing the COVID-19 pandemic: international comparisons in dialysis patients. Kidney Int. 2020; 98:12–16.
11. UK Renal Association. PPE and use of masks by dialysis patients 2020 [Available from: https://renal.org/renal-association-statement-ppe-use-masksdialysis-patients/#layout-secondary-nav
12. Goicoechea M, Camara LAS, Macias N, et al. COVID-19: Clinical course and outcomes of 36 hemodialysis patients in Spain. Kidney Int. 2020;98:27–34.
13. Milia VL, Bacchini G, Bigi MC, et al. COVID-19 outbreak in a large hemodialysis center in Lombardy, Italy. Kidney Int Rep. 2020;5:1095–1099.
14. Keller N, Chantrel F, Krummel T, et al. Impact of first-wave corona virus disease 2019 infection in patients on haemodialysis in Alsace: The observational COVIDAL study. Neprol Dial Transplant. 2020;35:1338–1345.
15. Manganaro M, Baldovino S. First considerations on the SARSCoV-2 epidemic in the dialysis units of Piedmont and Aosta Valley, Northern Italy. J Nephrol. 2020;10:1–3.
16. Valeri AM, Robbins-Juarez SY, Stevens JS, et al. Presentation and outcomes of patients with ESKD and COVID-19. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2020;31:1409–15.
17. Sánchez-Álvarez JE, Pérez Fontán M, Jiménez Martín C, et al. Situación de la infección por SARS-CoV-2 en pacientes en tratamiento renal sustitutivo. Informe del Registro COVID-19 de la Sociedad Española de Nefrología (SEN). Nefrología. 2020;40:272–78.
18. Corbett RW, Blakey S, Nitsch D, Loucaidou M, McLean A, Duncan N, et al. Epidemiology of COVID-19 in an Urban Dialysis Center. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2020;31:1815–23.
19. Docherty AB, Harrison EM, Green CA, et al. Features of 20133 UK patients in hospital with covid-19 using the ISARIC WHO clinical characterisation protocol: prospective observational cohort study. BMJ. 2020;369:1985.
20. Ma Y, Diao B, Lv X, et al. 2019 novel coronavirus disease in hemodialysis (HD) patients: Report from one HD center in Wuhan China. medRxiv 2020.
21. Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y et al (2020) China medical treatment expert group for Covid-19. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus 2019 disease in China. N Engl J Med 2020;30:1708-1720.
22. Naicker S, Yang CW, Hwang SJ, Liu BC, Chen JH, Jha V (2020). The novel coronavirus 2019 epidemic and kidneys. Kidney Int 2020;97:824-828