Main Article Content
Objective: Diabetes Mellitus is a chronic and progressive disease that significantly impairs the workforce and economy due to its complications. This study aims to evaluate patients diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus who use different oral antidiabetic medications with regard to glycemic control and diabetic complications.
Materials and Methods: This study included 200 patients who were being followed-up for a diagnosis of Type 2 DM.
Results: Of the 200 patients included in the study, 131 were on metformin monotherapy and 69 were on metformin and gliclazide combination therapy. HbA1c value of Metformin monotherapy prescribed patients was7,6%±1,5, metformin+gliclazide prescribed patients was 8,2%±1,9. There was a statistically significant difference between the two groups in terms of blood glucose levels (p<0.05). There was no significant difference between the two groups with regard to microvascular complications and body mass index.
Conclusion: Our study determined that the level of glycemic control manifested by Type 2 DM patients was suboptimal despite using different types of oral antidiabetics and that their body mass indices were high. We reached the conclusion that the present situation is linked to factors such as incorrect dietary habits, inadequate exercise and walking, failure to comply with the medical treatment suggested by the physician, and lack of awareness about the severity of the disease.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. NCD Risk Factor Collaboration (NCD-RisC) Worldwide trends in diabetes since 1980: a pooled analysis of 751 population-based studies with 4.4 million participants. Lancet (2016) 387:1513–30. 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00618-8 [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef].
3. Babazadeh T, Dianatinasab M, Daemi A, Nikbakht HA, Moradi F, Ghaffari-Fam S. Association of self-care behaviors and quality of life among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: Chaldoran County, Iran. Diabetes Metab J. 2017;41(6):449–56.
4. Özata M. Endocrinology Metabolism and Diabetes. Istanbul: Istanbul Medical Publishing House, Euromat Integrated Printing, 2011: 539-540.
5. Gilmer TP, Oconnor PJ, Manning WG, Rush WA. The costto health plans of poor glycemic control. Diabetes Care. 1997; 20: 1847-53.
6. Kayaalp O, Gürlek A. Turkey Medication Guide 2011-2012- Pelican Bookstore Medical Pharmacology, pp: 1039-1075, 2012.
7. Mycek JM, Harvey AR, Champe CP. Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews Serisinden: Farmakoloji, Çeviri-Ed; Oktay Ş, Nobel Tıp Kitabevi, 2. Baskı, İstanbul, 1998; s: 255-262.
8. Longo R. Understanding oral antidiabetic agents. Am. J. Nursing. 2010; 110: 49-52.
9. Turkey Endocrinology and Metabolism Association, Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus and its Complications, Treatment and Monitoring Guide 2018: 78-79.
10. Lu Y, Xu J, Zhao W, Han HR. Measuring self-care in persons with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. Eval Health Prof. 2016;39(2):131–184.
11. Wändell PE. Quality of life of patients with diabetes mellitus. An overview of research in primary health care in the Nordic countries. Scand J Prim Health Care. 2005;23(2):68–74.
12. Chew BH, Mastura I, Lee PY, Wahyu TS, Cheong AT, Zaiton A. Ethnic differences in glycaemic control and complications: the adult diabetes control and management (ADCM), Malaysia. Med J Malaysia. 2011;66(3):244–248.
13. Stratton IM, Adler AI, Neil HA, et al. Association of glycaemia with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 35): prospective observational study. BMJ. 2000;321(7258):405–12.
14. Feinglos MN, Bethel MA. Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: An Evidence-Based Approach to Practical Management. Springer Science & Business Media; 2008.
15. Nwasuruba C, Khan M, Egede LE. Racial/ethnic differences in multiple self-care behaviors in adults with diabetes. J Gen Intern Med. 2007;22(1):115–20.
16. Xu Y, Pan W, Liu H. Self-management practices of Chinese Americans with type 2 diabetes. Nurs Health Sci. 2010;12(2):228–34.
17. Wabe NT, Angamo MT, Hussein S. Medication adherence in diabetes mellitus and self management practices among type-2 diabetics in Ethiopia. N Am J Med Sci. 2011;3(9):418–23.
18. Compeán Ortiz LG, Gallegos Cabriales EC, González González JG, Gómez Meza MV. Self-care behaviors and health indicators in adults with type 2 diabetes. Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2010;18(4):675–80.
19. Ahola AJ, Groop PH. Barriers to self-management of diabetes. Diabet Med. 2013;30(4):413–20.
20. Inzucchi SE, Bergenstal RM, Buse JB, et al; American Diabetes Association (ADA); European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a patient-centered approach: position statement of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Diabetes Care. 2012;35(6):1364–79.
21. Pan XR, Li GW, Hu YH, Wang JX, Yang WY, An ZX, et al. . Effects of diet and exercise in preventing NIDDM in people with impaired glucose tolerance. The Da Qing IGT and Diabetes Study. Diabetes Care (1997) 20: 537–44. [PubMed].
22. Li G, Zhang P, Wang J, Gregg EW, Yang W, Gong Q, et al. . The long-term effect of lifestyle interventions to prevent diabetes in the China Da Qing Diabetes Prevention Study: a 20-year follow-up study. Lancet (2008) 371:1783–9. 10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60766-7 [PubMed] [CrossRef].
23. Turkey Endocrinology and Metabolism Association, Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus and its Complications, Treatment and Monitoring Guide 2018: 89.
24. Binh TQ, Phuong PT, Nhung BT. Knowledge and associated factors towards type 2 diabetes among a rural population in the Red River Delta region, Vietnam. Rural Remote Health 2015;15: 3275.
25. Breen C, Ryan M, Gibney MJ, O’Shea D. Diabetesrelated nutrition knowledge and dietary intake among adults with type 2 diabetes. Br J Nutr 2015;114:439-47.
26. Franz MJ, Boucher JL, Rutten-Ramos S, Van Wormer JJ. Lifestyle weight-loss intervention outcomes in overweight and obese adults with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Acad Nutr Diet 2015;115:1447-63.
27. Tiew KF, Chan YM, Lye MS, Loke SC. Factors associated with dietary diversity score among individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Health Popul Nutr 2014;32: 665