Main Article Content
Objective: The aim of this research is to compare mean platelet volumes (MPV) among women with ovarian endometriomas, women with benign ovarian cysts and infertile women who were otherwise healthy.
Material and Methods: Women were selected for the ovarian endometrioma and benign ovarian cyst group after laparoscopic ovarian cyst excision and confirmed histopathologic evaluation. The control group was assigned from women with male partner infertility or unexplained infertility but who were otherwise healthy. Mean platelet volume calculated as a part of complete blood count, which collected in potassium ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid tubes
Results: There were 98 women in the endometrioma group, 94 in the benign cyst group and 99 in the control group. Mean platelet volume was different among the groups (p<0.01). The mean platelet volume in the infertile group was statistically different than in the endometrioma and benign cyst groups and was similar between the endometrioma and benign cyst groups. When compared with the infertile group, the area under the curve and predictive value of the mean platelet volume for the endometrioma and the benign cyst group were 0.73 ±0.03 fl (p<0.01, CI 0.65-0.80) and 0.72±0.06 fl (p<0.01; CI 0.64-0.79), respectively. Mean platelet volume had a sensitivity of 74% and specificity of 63% for endometrioma and sensitivity of 72%, and specificity of 63% for benign cysts at a cut-off point of 9.05 fl.
Conclusion: The present study demonstrated that mean platelet volume was increased in women with ovarian endometriomas and benign cysts and showed predictive values for endometriomas and benign ovarian cysts.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Margraf A, Zarbock A. Platelets in Inflammation and Resolution. J Immunol. 2019 Nov 1;203(9):2357-2367. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1900899.
3. Budak YU, Polat M, Huysal K. The use of platelet indices, plateletcrit, mean platelet volume and platelet distribution width in emergency non-traumatic abdominal surgery: a systematic review. Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2016;26(2):178-93. doi: 10.11613/BM.2016.020.
4. Bellos I, Fitrou G, Pergialiotis V, Papantoniou N, Daskalakis G. Mean platelet volume values in preeclampsia: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pregnancy Hypertens. 2018 Jul;13:174-180. doi: 10.1016/j.preghy.2018.06.016.
5. Jakobsen C, Larsen JB, Fuglsang J, Hvas AM. Platelet function in preeclampsia - a systematic review and meta-analysis. Platelets. 2019;30(5):549-562. doi: 10.1080/09537104.2019.1595561.
6. Manjunath K V, Pavan Jonnada P, Sai Kiran N, Ali Anwar. Role of Mean Platelet Volume in the Prognosis of Locally Advanced Gastric Cancer: A Tertiary Cancer Center Experience. 2020 Jul 10;12(7):e9109. doi: 10.7759/cureus.9109.
7. Moghadam RH, Shahmohammadi A, Asgari N, Azizi K, Mansour SM, Roozbahani M. Comparison of mean platelet volume levels in coronary artery ectasia and healthy people: systematic review and meta-analysis. Blood Res. 2018 Dec;53(4):269-275. doi: 10.5045/br.2018.53.4.269.
8. Senchenkova EY, Komoto S, Russell J, Almeida-Paula LD, Yan LS, Zhang S, et al. Interleukin-6 mediates the platelet abnormalities and thrombogenesis associated with experimental colitis. Am J Pathol. 2013 Jul;183(1):173-81. doi: 10.1016/j.ajpath.2013.03.014.
9. Incebiyik A, Seker A, Vural M, Gul Hilali N, Camuzcuoglu A, Camuzcuoglu H. May mean platelet volume levels be a predictor in the diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease? Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2014 Jul;126(13-14):422-6. doi: 10.1007/s00508-014-0560-2.
10. Purnak T, Efe C, Yuksel O, Beyazit Y, Ozaslan E, Altiparmak E. Mean platelet volume could be a promising biomarker to monitor dietary compliance in celiac disease. Ups J Med Sci. 2011 Aug;116(3):208-11. doi: 10.3109/03009734.2011.581399.
11. Cengiz C, Erhan Y, Murat T, Ercan A, Ibrahim S, Ihsan G, et al. Values of mean platelet volume in patients with chronic tonsillitis and adenoid hypertrophy. Pak J Med Sci. 2013 Apr;29(2):569-72. doi: 10.12669/pjms.292.2715.
12. Karadag-Oncel E, Ozsurekci Y, Kara A, Karahan S, Cengiz AB, Ceyhan M. The value of mean platelet volume in the determination of community acquired pneumonia in children. Ital J Pediatr. 2013 Mar 8;39:16. doi: 10.1186/1824-7288-39-16..
13. Yayla Abide Ç, Vural F, Kılıççı Ç, Bostancı Ergen E, Yenidede İ, Eser A, et al. Can we predict severity of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy using inflammatory markers? Turk J Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Sep;14(3):160-165. doi: 10.4274/tjod.67674.
14. Psaroudakis D, Hirsch M, Davis C. Review of the management of ovarian endometriosis: paradigm shift towards conservative approaches. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Aug;26(4):266-74. doi: 10.1097/GCO.0000000000000078.
15. Jayaprakasan K, Becker C, Mittal M on behalf of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. The Effect of Surgery for Endometriomas on Fertility. Scientific Impact Paper No. 55. BJOG. 2018 May;125(6):e19-e28. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.14834.
16. Kasapoglu I, Ata B, Uyaniklar O, Seyhan A, Orhan A, Yildiz Oguz S, et al. Endometrioma-related reduction in ovarian reserve (ERROR): a prospective longitudinal study. Fertil Steril. 2018 Jul 1;110(1):122-127. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2018.03.015.
17. Watts ER, Walmsley SR. Inflammation and Hypoxia: HIF and PHD Isoform Selectivity. Trends Mol Med. 2019 Jan;25(1):33-46. doi: 10.1016/j.molmed.2018.10.006.
18. Eltzschig HK, Carmeliet P. Hypoxia and inflammation. N Engl J Med. 2011 Feb 17;364(7):656-65. doi: 10.1056/NEJMra0910283.
19. Gasparyan AY, Ayvazyan L, Mikhailidis DP, Kitas GD. Mean platelet volume: a link between thrombosis and inflammation? Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(1):47-58. doi: 10.2174/138161211795049804.
20. Yavuzcan A, Cağlar M, Ustün Y, Dilbaz S, Ozdemir I, Yıldız E, et al. Evaluation of mean platelet volume, neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio and platelet/lymphocyte ratio in advanced stage endometriosis with endometrioma. J Turk Ger Gynecol Assoc. 2013 Dec 1;14(4):210-5. doi: 10.5152/jtgga.2013.55452.
21. Turgut A, Hocaoglu M, Ozdamar O, Usta A, Gunay T, Akdeniz E. Could hematologic parameters be useful biomarkers for the diagnosis of endometriosis? Bratisl Lek Listy. 2019;120(12):912-918. doi: 10.4149/BLL_2019_153.
22. Yildirim M, Demir Cendek B, Filiz Avsar A. Differentiation between benign and malignant ovarian masses in the preoperative period using neutrophil-to-lymphocyte and platelet-to-lymphocyte ratios. Mol Clin Oncol. 2015 Mar;3(2):317-321. doi: 10.3892/mco.2014.481.
23. Qin YY, Wu YY, Xian XY, Qin JQ, Lai ZF, Liao L, et al. Single and combined use of red cell distribution width, mean platelet volume, and cancer antigen 125 for differential diagnosis of ovarian cancer and benign ovarian tumors. J Ovarian Res. 2018 Jan 22;11(1):10. doi: 10.1186/s13048-018-0382-3.