Main Article Content
Objective: We aimed to investigate the relationship between umblical coiling index and thiol/disulfide balance in SGA newborns to compare with AGA newborns.
Material and Methods: Fetal umbilical cord serum samples were collected during labour and the thiol/disulfide homeostasis was measured. After birth, umbilical cords were collected and cord parameters were examined including, length, number of coils, umbilical cord index.
Results: Significant decrease in native thiol, total thiol, and a significant increase in disulfide, disulfide/native thiol ratio and disulfide/total thiol ratios were observed in the study group while native thiol/total thiol ratio levels of the two groups did not reach to a statistical significance.
Conclusion: The results of this study showed that SGA babies had altered thiol homeostasis in favor of oxidative stress.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Lee ACC, Katz J, Blencowe H, Cousens S, Kozuki N, Vogel JP, Adair L, Baqui AH, Bhutta ZA, Caulfield LE, et al. National and regional estimates of term and preterm babies born small for gestational age in 138 low-income and middle-income countries in 2010. Lancet Glob Health. 2013;1(1):e26–36.
3. Chitra T, Sushanth YS, Raghavan S. Umbilical Coiling Index as a Marker of Perinatal Outcome:An Analytical Study. Obstetrics and Gynecology International 2012;6.
4. Van Dijk CC, Franx A, de Laat MWM, Bruinse HW, Visser GHA, Nikkels PGJ. The umbilical coiling index in normal pregnancy. The Journal of Maternal–Fetal and Neonatal Medicine 2002;11:280–283.
5. Jessop FA, Lees CC, Pathak S, Hook CE, Sebire NJ. Umbilical cord coiling: clinical outcomes in an unselected population and systematic review. Virchows Arch. 2014;464(1):105-12.
6. Patil NS, Kulkarni SR, Lohitashwa R. Umbilical cord coiling index and perinatal outcome. J Clin Diagn Res. 2013;7(8):1675-7.
7. Padmanabhan LD, Mhaskar R, Mhaskar A. Umbilical vascular coiling and the perinatal outcome. J Obstet Gynecol India. 2001;51(6):43–44.
8. Strong TH Jr, Elliott JP, Radin TG. Non-coiled umbilical blood vessels: a new marker for the fetus at risk. Obstet Gynecol 1993;81:409–411.
9. Jo YS, Jang DK, Lee G. The sonographic umbilical cord coiling in late second trimester of gestation and perinatal outcomes. Int J Med Sci. 2011;8(7):594-8.
10. Strong TH,Finberg JH, Mattox JH. Antepartum Diagnosis of noncoiled umblical blood vessels. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994;170:1729-3.1.
11. Karaaslan O, Hacımusalar Y, Bal C, Ercan M. Evaluation of thiol/disulfide homeostasis in patients with a first episode of major depressive disorder. Medical Science and Discovery 2019; Vol 6 No 1.
12. Erel O, Neselioglu S. A novel and automated assay for thiol/disulphide homeostasis. Clin Biochem. 2014;47:326–32. doi:10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2014.09.026.
13. Ezimokhai M, Rizk DE, Thomas L. Maternal risk factors for abnormal vascular coiling of the umbilical cord. Am J Perinatol 2000;17:441-5.
14. M. W. M. De Laat, A. Franx, P. G. J. Nikkels, G. H. A. Visser. Prenatal ultrasonographic prediction of the umbilical coiling index at birth and adverse pregnancy outcome. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2006;28:704-9.
15. Jessop FA, Lees CC, Pathak S, Hook CE, Sebire NJ. Umbilical cord coiling: clinical outcomes in an unselected population and systematic review. Virchows Arch. 2014;464:105–12.
16. Dutman AC, Nikkels PG. Umbilical hypercoiling in 2nd- and 3rdtrimester intrauterine fetal death. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2015;18:10–6.
17. Mittal A, Nanda S, Sen J. Antenatal umbilical coiling index as a predictor of perinatal outcome. Arch Gynecol Obstet.2015;291:763–8.
18. Yoshioka T, Kawada K, Shimada T, Mori M. Lipid peroxidation in maternal and cord blood and protective mechanism against activated oxygen toxicity in the blood. Am J Obstet Gynecol.1979;135:372–376.
19. Gupta P, Narang M, Banerjee BD, Basu S 2004 Oxidative stress in term small for gestational age neonates born to undernourished mothers: a case control study. BMC Pediatr 4:14.
20. Dede H, Takmaz O,Ozbaslı E, Dede S, Gungor M. Higher Level of Oxidative Stress Markers in Small for Gestational Age Newborns Delivered by Cesarean Section at Term. The Journal of Fetal and Pediatr Pathol 2017 Jun;36(3):232-239.
21. Lindeman JHN, Zoeren-Grobben DV, Schrijiver J, Speek AJ, Poorthuis BJHM, Berger HM. The total free radical trapping ability of cord blood plasma in preterm and term babies.Pediatr Res.1989;26:20–24.
22. Unal S, Ulubas Isik D, Bas AY, Erol S, Arifoglu I, Alisik M, et al. Evaluation of dynamic thiol-disulfide homeostasis in very low-birth-weighted preterms. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017;1–6.